Idol Worship – The Battle Of The Altars: Sermon By Rev. Loice Achola
Some of the elders of Israel came to me and sat down in front of me. Then the word of the Lord came to me: “Son of man, these men have set up idols in their hearts and put wicked stumbling blocks before their faces. Should I let them inquire of me at all? Therefore speak to them and tell them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: When any of the Israelites set up idols in their hearts and put a wicked stumbling block before their faces and then go to a prophet, I the Lord will answer them myself in keeping with their great idolatry. I will do this to recapture the hearts of the people of Israel, who have all deserted me for their idols.’
“Therefore say to the people of Israel, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Repent! Turn from your idols and renounce all your detestable practices!
“‘When any of the Israelites or any foreigner residing in Israel separate themselves from me and set up idols in their hearts and put a wicked stumbling block before their faces and then go to a prophet to inquire of me, I the Lord will answer them myself. I will set my face against them and make them an example and a byword. I will remove them from my people. Then you will know that I am the Lord.“Ezekiel 14:1-7 (AMPC)
God wants to bring us back to the ancient paths. He desires to redirect us today for us to walk in the paths He’s ordained for us to walk in.
Idol worship is the worship of a false god or the worship of God through man-made images.
The idol worship that’s enshrined in our hearts is something that everyone must deal with.
By the virtue of us being Africans, our ancestors had their own gods. Idol worship is deeply enshrined in our hearts. It’s the heritage we’ve all come from.
Every idol is not just an image of a thing. There is a spirit and principality behind it.
Every idol worshipper has a covenant with their god. They worship the spirit behind the image.
You must do the work of petitioning God to remove those things inside of you that are of the enemy.
We must divorce ourselves from the old covenants of our heritage, lest the gods of the covenant call you back.
The enemy follows the blood i.e. the blood of the lineage that our ancestors covenanted themselves.
There are consequences of broken covenant.
God commanded the Israelites to destroy the idols in the land they were to enter. The idols you don’t destroy will destroy you.
The reward of idol worship is grief.
Take heed to yourself, lest you make a covenant or mutual agreement with the inhabitants of the land to which you go, lest it become a snare in the midst of you.
But you shall destroy their altars, dash in pieces their pillars (obelisks, images), and cut down their Asherim [symbols of the goddess Asherah];
For you shall worship no other god; for the Lord, Whose name is Jealous, is a jealous (impassioned) God,
Lest you make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and when they play the harlot after their gods and sacrifice to their gods and one invites you, you eat of his food sacrificed to idols,
And you take of their daughters for your sons, and their daughters play the harlot after their gods and make your sons play the harlot after their gods.
You shall make for yourselves no molten gods.Exodus 34:12-17 (AMPC)
Idol worship comes about through a covenant. You must covenant yourself to that false god. You must keep the agreement.
Covenants are presided over a spirit.
Every covenant is executed at a designated altar. There is no covenant without an altar.
An altar is a place of sacrifice. There must be a sacrifice placed on the altar to activate the power and rewards of the covenant.
All idol worshippers must offer a sacrifice. In Ezekiel 16, idol worshippers are described with things like: child sacrifices, gross sexual immorality, food sacrifices, etc.
Not all covenants are entered willingly. The enemy will use snares to capture you in evil covenants.
Marriage can be an idol in your life, where you idolize your partner above God or you conspire together with your partner against the purpose of God e.g Ananias and Sapphira.
Every covenant has characteristics that must be expressed by the participants.
You will have an unstoppable desire for the god you serve.
The work of idols is to destroy you.
Characteristics Of Idol Worshippers In Church:
1. Religion – There is a spirit of religion that causes you to regularly hear truth yet never change. It does not allow people to access truth that will liberate them.
2. They are always looking for physical things that they will worship e.g. status, money. People who have a spirit of idolatry in them always think their church is the only holy church.
3. They are incapacitated to do anything without the consent of their man of God. They have a fear of their man of God as a motivation of their submission instead of love.
4. They don’t take time to build a deep relationship with God because they already have another god. They have a superficial relationship with God.
5. They are incapacitated to pray for their man of God because they think they are perfect.
The Consequences Of Idolatry:
1. Hardship – Because of the consequences of a broken covenant. If you are saved, God is also judging the sin in you and therefore you are in between places. Idol worship and harlotry are the same. Idols steal your virtues.
2. Shame – Only God can deliver you from shame. All other gods will put you into shame. Shame steals your glory. The very things that you’ve raised above God become your snares.
3. Brokenness & public scorn – Idol worship will take you deeper and deeper into sin.